Wednesday, May 26, 2010

KISS

KISS - Keep it simple, stupid! That's not exactly what Darin said after dinner the other night, but that was the general thought....without the stupid, because Darin would never call me stupid!!

I was trying to get creative with the green beans and did a little saute with green beans, mushrooms, onions, garlic, olive oil and some red wine. I had cooked the beans a while ahead of time to soften them ( I don't like my beans al dente). I thought it was all really good but he smiled and said they were ok. He didn't want to criticize because he knows I'm trying really hard here and he's a good (and smart) man. After much pestering, I got him to admit basically this: the few veggies he does like (like regular old cooked green beans), don't mess with them! Don't do anything different with them. Fine. That's easy!

So, last night we had regular old green beans (cooked in chicken stock), some chicken in the oven with soup on it, and rice. We all loved it!!! There go my fancy ways!

Tonight's dinner was a weird combo as I was trying to eat most of the things we have before we get our new box of veggies tomorrow. We had fried eggs (a favorite at our house with toasted challah bread from McFaland's Bakery on Main Street in Hendersonville). I sauteed the spinach and beet greens with olive oil, garlic and red wine (sound familiar?). I scrambled mine with my eggs, didn't even give Noah any (he had a spinach salad with homemade challah croutons), and put Darin's greens on the side of his eggs. I loved it! I really like that green combination! Darin's just not a green eater, yet. I still don't love them, but I'm eating them a bit more than he is. I'm still hopeful about Noah and the greens!

For our after dinner snack (because they took sooooo long to cook they weren't ready for dinner), we had roasted beets, potatoes, and zuchini with olive oil and sea salt. Cooked about 1.5 hours and was fabulous!!! Crispy and sweet on the edges and tender on the insides. Small bits were broken up in the pan and crispy-licious! Best after dinner snack I've had in a long time and I have leftovers for lunch! Roasting veggies is easy and we all like the taste. I think I'll be doing more of that in the near future.

I think the mustard greens may be composted. They're still in the crisper in the fridge, so I've not given you hope yet. Will keep you updated about their status.

No comments:

Post a Comment